July/August 2011 Contest: Design a Wanted Poster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser31859

Hey Duduie, I think you are trying to prove everyone that the creation is not mine. If you have doubt, I encourage you to call up my home and ask my parents! Atleast you can believe someone's parents? And I did it myself how many times do I tell you? I was just asking again because I did NOT get any reply.

DeletedUser

John, this isn't the arena for your little argument, but I am getting a little tired of all this posturing so let me interject and, in the process, answer your question.

First you created a poster with a copyrighted image and you were told it isn't allowed. Next you asked if you could use a character image from another game and said it was all you had; you were told no, you cannot because they would be copyright protected. Then you posted a the same poster but with a new character image and asked if it was okay to use that image and too bad if not because it was all you had. I recommended that you indicate where you obtained the character image and you proceeded to get all dodgy and not indicate where you got it. Duduie questioned it and you got all defensive.

All that said, it's a copyrighted image from posters, wallpapers, and cover art for a game called "Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive", which I suspect you knew all along, particularly considering your initial questions ---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desperados:_Wanted_Dead_or_Alive

http://www.gamewallpapers.com/wallpapers.php?titel=Desperados

http://www.funvista.com/get/downloads/wallpapers/games-wallpapers/desperados/desperados4.htm

http://wallpapersgallery.net/v/Video-Games/Desperados-Wanted-Dead-Or-Alive/

Now please stop the gameplaying, stop spamming this thread, and just make a poster without violating the rules of the contest, as it's kinda rude to all those who are trying to legitimately, and in the spirit of the competition and in expression of artistry, participate within the stated guidelines.

(this is an unsolicited commentary by a community member, not a staff member, and thus all comments posed are without authority, except for the tone in which I present it and the codger cane which I wield with wild gesticulations, ya damn whippersnappers! ~ Hellstromm)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

FINISHEDedit4.jpg

My Entry I hope it meets all requirements, good luck all !:cool:

DeletedUser20688

I can't help but wonder if language isn't the problem here. I wondered myself about the figure in mine - he isn't a person of this world, but he's also not someone else's creation. Is someone a celebrity just because his/her image is highly recognized, even if it isn't a real person?

Folks, I'll try and reiterate this again:

1. Video game characters are indeed not real people. Niether are comic book characters, graphic novel characters, animation characters, etc. However, they are the creations of real artists, ergo they are copyrighted materials. The only exception in this case is the use of the avatar outputs from The West. That artwork is ok to use.

2. A celebrity is any real, famous person or persona (like Lady Gaga) most people would immediately recognize from main stream media. Truly, by default, that type of image (which 99% of the time would be a photograph) would most likely not be attributed to a member of this forum and therefor would be a copyrighted image. However, since the rules trump the use of celebrities, you just cannot use those types of images at all. So, even if you took an original photo of Clint Eastwood, you could not use that image in the contest. I've already addressed the issue of rendering (drawing, painting, etc.) a celebrity image. You can use a celebrity image as a reference or basis of an original work, but you'd have to significantly alter the image as you render it. Otherwise, you are just copying the original image.

3. The bottom line here is simple: Use original photography. Use original art. Be creative. Have fun.

I realize the end of this contest is drawing near, but what I'm addressing here will no doubt be relevant in future contests.

Also, in the future, rules will be set in place for disqualifying participants that incur a notice or a infraction due to behavior issues, break copyright rules or commit any other offense that interferes with the decorum of a contest. I just cannot tolerate that kind of behavior at all especially in a contest thread.

DeletedUser

Thanks for clarifying Orgo. I wasn't real sure what he meant by not of this world, so it made it hard to decide how the responses he got pertained to other pictures.

DeletedUser

poster_final.jpg

-Added signature
-Minor update

DeletedUser

Is it compulsory to post 2 posters? Or we have an option?

It's optional (for fun) and only one will be entered into the competitive.

(To prevent a possible double winner, only one qualifying poster will be allowed into the voting process per user. Any participant that successfully creates two valid poster designs will receive a private message from me on August 25th inquiring which poster they intend to enter into the final popular voting poll. So, by that date, please have a solid idea which poster you would intend to enter.)

DeletedUser20688

Ok, thanks to all that entered! At this time, the entry phase of the contest is over. All images will be collected "as is" from this thread.

Any user's work that does not meet the standards of entry (see first post) will not be accepted into the voting phase. Those users will also be notified via PM by me.

Any user that successfully submitted two different designs will receive a PM to decide which entry they wish to have entered into the voting phase. Failure to reply within 24 hours will default the choice to myself.

Again, thanks to all users that participated. I thought the amount of entrees was surprising given that I did not use an interstitial advertisement (we will for the next one).

The contest is now in the voting stage! Please go to the July/August 2011 Contest: Voting Thread and cast your vote.
This thread will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.