More/Different Quests

DeletedUser5046

i was always staring at that circle..always..but i still cant see that shaman... oohh...does that mean i need glasses!?

DeletedUser

thats what i was going to say as for jobs i would have to do some research

DeletedUser

All of this is a fine idea, but you have to look it from the devs side: They have to come up a story for every quest. So then you should also think about the NPC who give you the quest and whats the point of doing this in their prospective.

It wouldn't be that hard to write in a few NPC's:

you visit the Mortician:
And therein the Mortician is haunted by the ghost of an elder shaman who wishes to seek revenge on his killers. The Mortician sends you to to Priest to get a glass of blessed water...

You visit the church and a Priest is there ands asks you to bring you 3 glasses of water so he can bless and gives you a silver cross... Only then the cross is stolen and the Priest tells you to find the Sherrif. But when you get to the saloon, the Bartender tells you the Sherrif has been kidnapped and the town is besieged by bandits. Then you have 5 consecutive duels to complete before you can even buy another item from any of your stores...

Once you kill the ruffians and the town is liberated you are rewarded with a Presize muzzle and the sheriff then sends you to fight another henchmen / thief to get the cross for the priest.

You take the cross to the Ghost haunting the Mortician and he grants you 5 skill points to be used where you please
Net result: 2200 exp
1700 cash

*omg, thinking of story lines for NPC quests is so hard

DeletedUser5046

Ghost hunting?

did the monkey told you before he will volunteer to write sum of that stuffs?!

DeletedUser

I'm liking this idea. These quests should be real. you really have to build you really have to duel

DeletedUser5046

the thing now is tat how much we support tis idea is how long will it take to be on developing/dicussing/voting section...

DeletedUser

The only issue there is for those players who want to complete the quests but are not a dueler or a soldier/mercenary like myself. Introduce quests like that and I would never be able to complete it and then get stuck not being able to buy any items in my town - hmmm maybe a small rethink?

DeletedUser

Character Class Quests

Bear in mind that this idea was previously discussed in this thread

But here goes some story line ideas...

Adventurer
The sheriff asks you to bring him 1000 silver dollars so he make some silver bullets.
reward: 30 exp
Item: Silver Sphere (necklace)

Worker
The Bartender wants a place for his niece to stay. Put 10 hrs into the contruction of the Hotel
Reward: 100 exp
cash: $60

Duelist
Waupee is tired of seeing his people extradicted from territory to territory. Defeat a series of soldiers.
Reward: 500 exp
Item: Push Dagger

Soldier
Maya is worried that her best customer is going to get shot on guard duty. Defend the fort for 8 hrs.
Reward: 50 exp
Item: Garter belt (new item -- womans undergarment) resale value $25

DeletedUser

I like the quests but they are not very balanced... as adventurer you get much more than a soldier... If That is worked out.. it's pretty cool ;)

DeletedUser1105

I think a lot of the quests would be suitable to any class. The ones I put in my orginal post were examples anyway, suggestions to help the developers should they deem this idea worthy of thier priveliged and more-important-than-ours time.

I would assume they would think of a few quest lines to add, and make it balanced, seeing as that is what they are paid to do.

DeletedUser

I didn't mean your proposal... but the quests on the page before this one
posted by "Zazz Sasst"

I realy like the Idea... and your quests...

DeletedUser

Thanx for the approval, eagle john. As I said, they are just rough Ideas... i can think of hundreds more. I just wanted to illustrate that class-specific quests (and possibly jobs) would be a good feature to add....

As for my "1000 silver dollar quest" do you realize how long that would take you to complete? By the time you got it, you'd have enough cash to buy one...

DeletedUser

that's true.. but if you make 50 of that.. it would be a good one I think... that's about 25 - 30 hours work...

but jeah I like the Idea's....

come on brains think of something (cracking brains)
no srry I can't come with one yet :huh:

DeletedUser

Bear in mind that this idea was previously discussed in this thread

But here goes some story line ideas...

Adventurer
The sheriff asks you to bring him 1000 silver dollars so he make some silver bullets.
reward: 30 exp
Item: Silver Sphere (necklace)

Worker
The Bartender wants a place for his niece to stay. Put 10 hrs into the contruction of the Hotel
Reward: 100 exp
cash: $60

Duelist
Waupee is tired of seeing his people extradicted from territory to territory. Defeat a series of soldiers.
Reward: 500 exp
Item: Push Dagger

Soldier
Maya is worried that her best customer is going to get shot on guard duty. Defend the fort for 8 hrs.
Reward: 50 exp
Item: Garter belt (new item -- womans undergarment) resale value $25

With the worker..

WHat happens when the hotel is lvl 5 and you only have 9 hours building time =O

DeletedUser

I really like the idea of the 'unknown items' quests mentioned earlier in this thread (where you have to help construct a new bar or something but you don't know what items you need). I was sad to see it shot down just because the solution might/would appear on the west stats.

So I had a think about a solution, and I thought the following:

The number of items that are involved is made bigger, so there maybe 7 possible items for the quest.

However, the items required, and the number required of each item is randomised for you as an individual player (with separate parameters for each item) so maybe 3-8 wood, 1-3 nails, 0-2 hammers, 0-1 flags, 0-1 newspaper, 0-1 empty bottle, 0-1 sugar etc...

So it may be that you need
a. 7 wood, 1 nails, 1 hammer, 1 flag, 1 newspaper
b. 4 wood, 3 nails, 2 hammers, 1 sugar, 1 empty bottle

This could make it too difficult, so to make it possible you wouldn't need to have all of the required items, but maybe 4 out of 5 (but you would need the full amount of each).

So even if the solution is published, all it could tell you is the different items that may be required, but you still won't know exactly what you need as some of them wont be things you need to fill your personal quest.

On a separate note, it would be good to get feedback from the developers as to how possible any of this is (has this topic been highlighted to them yet, if not I think it should).

I'm only on level 13, I'm always concentrating on my quests as it gives a reason for doing things, and the whole item->quest thing is starting to get repetitive already.

I have a feeling that a lot of the things we are suggesting rely on events that the game isn't remembering. It would be handy to know if some of these ideas can be easily implemented (my idea above for example sounds hard but at the end of the day it's only a few lists of items and a randomiser - the actual quest mechanic remains the same - get items - complete quest).

Some of the ideas may be much harder if for instance the game doesn't remember which regions you've been in or can't distinguish between one cornfield and another.

If we had a list of 'things that the game remembers' then I'm sure we could all come up with a whole bunch of suggestions that could be easily implemented sooner, rather than putting the developers off with the idea of having to write in a whole load of new parameters (although some of these ideas are awesome and would warrant the effort).

The content of the quests at this stage may be less relevant than finding out what elements are possible to play about with - once we know the elements that can be used then it' more worthwhile suggesting specific quest lines that use those elements as you will know that they are workable as the game is.

Although it's still worthwhile suggesting all sorts of quests as the developers can then see if they are easy enough to add the parameters for.

DeletedUser

Not sure about your particular quest idea, but this comment is dead on:

The content of the quests at this stage may be less relevant than finding out what elements are possible to play about with - once we know the elements that can be used then it' more worthwhile suggesting specific quest lines that use those elements as you will know that they are workable as the game is.

This is an excellent suggestion, as we would be able to self-censor all upcoming ideas based on workability and dramatically improve our "signal to noise ratio" in what we send back to the devs. Very good thinking. Since you write well, and it's your idea, would you like to write up a proposal that we can vote on? If not, ask for someone else to do that. I'd really like this to be voted on.

DeletedUser

Ok there r 10 pg and it would kill me 10 times if i have to read every single post so if i step on any toes i wanna apologise first.

I definately love this idea as this way there r more reasons for you to continue playing The West. Storyline? dont have to make it a long one.

For builders it definately wont be fair if they gotta town-hop, maybe some other job which requires construction?

For protection(pg1) How about just duel NPCs instead?