RPG - Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Lagging behind the Confederate 1st Corps of Joseph E. Johnston's Army, Captain Silas R. Barber and his 6 gun battery finally approached the Confederate camp in Fairfax County, set on positioning his guns on a small plain that overlooked much of the battle that had gone on the day before, called Dogan's Branch (A dried up river bed). Going unnoticed for almost half an hour, Barber was confronted by P.G.T. Beauragard as he shouted orders as to where each gun section should be set up.

"Ah, so good of you to join us, Mister Barber." Beauragard would say as his courier suddenly bolted off in the opposite direction.

"I regret being so late, sir. The turnpike was cut off by the Union 3rd division as you have already been informed of, I and Major General Faire had to take Sutters road in order to get here in any reasonable time at all." Replied Barber, with a light Arkansas accent accompanying it.

"Yes, the Yankees have been quite the thorn in General Johnston's side, but the day belongs to us, I expect more of the same come early morning. This may seem a bit unorthodox, Captain, but Lieutenant Folk was killed in battle and I need you to take the 34th and 37th Georgia under your command for the time being, Kershaw should release them to you."

"I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do that, sir. I have an inexperienced 2nd and I would not want to jeopardize tommorow's battle with him. I could hold them in reserve for you, but I am only good at commanding artillery, not infantry regiments." Barber responded.

"That is a fine idea, Early already has 6 regiments as well as Kershaw. Get a good night's, sleep and I'll send Sergeant Hampton in the morning with the dispatches."

"Yes sir." Barber watched the moon in the night sky as he took off his cap, wiping the sweat from his hairline. No sooner was the two Georgia regiments already in columned form behind him, cleaning their muskets. The day couldn't come soon enough...

DeletedUser

James was sitting their on a chair next to Peril. His wounds were healing and he was getting ready for the next battle. James smoked a cigar and watched as Peril kicked the hell out of the Jayhawker back their. James was thinking their.

He heard that their is a term being used in the camp for the battles they were fighting in, The Eastern Theater. James watched as a few soldiers raised the 'Stars and Bars' as they were called. He sat their smoking his cigar and thinking deeply. He was hearing that during the winter, Beauregard was planning to invade Maryland. Sgt. Robert Maryland walked over and said," Colonel, I've heard your friend Col. Francis S. Bartow was killed in battle today. He died in Lucius Gartrell's arms sir."

James was devastated. Bartow was the man who asked him to join the Confederacy. Bartow was a great man. "He was shot rallying his soldiers. He told his men hold the field to the end," Maryland said. "Thank you sgt. return to your duties," James replied back.

James went to sleep. The battle was over. The next morning, James and the rest of the men packed their stuff away and went on. "All hail the Army of the Potomac!!!!" yelled many of the soldiers as they went on. James rode on, but the next battle loomed over....

(P.S: Their can't be any battles till we get to the a certain point. Remember, I don't want any battles that never happened in the war. The next battle is Peninsula Campaign so only do battles if your on the Confederate side or if your on the American side from the battle, your fighting in the Army of Northeastern Virginia in the Peninsula Campaign also. I opened links so you could do some studying 2! :D) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.G.T._Beauregard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_the_Potomac_(Confederate)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_the_Potomac_(Confederate)

DeletedUser

The Jayhawkers were enraged when they found the dead bodies of their friends the next morning. "This isn't the work of ordinary Rebs sir." Said a private standing next to the bodies. " No...This can only be done by them..." "Sir?" "Them Mountain Men! Perils Purgatory!" Westwoods spat on the ground. "Sergeant!" "Yes sir?"

Sergeant Johnson was a brave, somewhat rude man. Westwoods and Johnson go way back from the war with the Seminoles. Always has a cigarette in his mouth from the tobacco he steals from Rebs he killed.

He walked to Westwoods. "No one heared something last night I reckon?"
"No sir...Not a damn thing..not even the smallest movement..." Westwoods turned his head. "Double the guards! Stay allert! And the first one I catch sleeping or being drunk while doing watch I shove my rifle up his ass!"
Sergeant Johnson grinned with his tobacco black teeth. "Yes sir."
"And wipe that grin of your face sergeant! Send someone to general Schenck he's closest by an tell him that a band of Reb Mountain Men infiltrated our lines!" "Yes sir!" the sergeant nodded, saluted and grabded the nearest Jayhawker by his arm. The private left the camp by horse to warn the general.

Westwoods ordered his men to clean and load their rifles. "And somebody please give these men a proper burial!"

An hour later the courier returned. General Schenck ordered Westwoods Jayhawkers to join his troops. The general staff had a great scale attack planned and he needed all the men he could get. The Mountain Men were worries for later.

"We going to war sir?" "That were the generals orders sergeant."
The sergeant lighted another cigarette. "What could we expect out there?" "Expect heavy fighting sergeant this is the real thing." "Yeah like yesterday was a walk in the park eh sir" Westwoods acted like he didn't hear that. "What about those Purgatory guys sir?"

Westwoods smiled. "What's the matter sergeant? So eager to die?"
"No sir. But i just..." "I understand sergeant. But i know you wont fail me so no need to **** yourself." "That was a long time ago sir. My first battle during the Seminole Campaign. We were just soldiers then. Besides I wont 'cause I changed my pair of trousers yesterday and you know our quartermaster is always late with clothing supplies..." "Get out of my sight sergeant and make yourself ready to march to general Schencks camp. Sergeant Johnson walked to his tent laughing loudly.

The second day of battle was about to begin.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It was a long, hard battle. And afterward the Union army retreated.
Westwoods and his Jayhawkers killed many rebs but when the Mountain men finally arrived they were forced back and joined the retreating Union Army. Another sad day for the Union.

"We will meet again someday." Westwoods glanced back and saw the Rebel flag taunting him. "I hate those Johnny Rebs!"

DeletedUser

Jack and his men sat there laughing, two men had broke out a bottle and a few of the men were begining to get very very drunk. That was a regular thing in the Purgatory, Mountain Men needed their whiskey and Jack wasn't about to stop his fellows.

Standing Peril walked over towards where James was "When do you reckon the next battle will be?"

DeletedUser

"Still here I reckon," James said as he took a sip of his whisky.

James and Peril's troops fought over the third day at Bull Run. It was the most dangerous battle their was. They swept through and defeated many of them. James jumped off his horse to see Westwood. "Well hey cuz. How's losing feel for once?" James said as he threw one of throwing daggers straight straight at him, going through his gun before firing a shot and into his shoulder.

James ordered his men on. His men were cut off. But they fought hard. Peril's Purgatory captured most of the Jayhawkers and Westwood. The battle was ran over. The Union army completely retreated. They fled all the way back to D.C. "All hail the Johnny Reb!!!!" all of James' Stallions yelled, as they were called. The battle was over and the Army of Potomac left.

The following night, all the colonels were ordered into a tent. "Men, tonight we are going to join forces and become the Army of Northern Virginia with the Army of the Shenandoah."

James and his sgt.'s walked over to Peril and his men one night. "Peril, I've heard rumors around the camp and from the commanders. Westwood, under interrogation, said you were sending information to the Union during the battle. They told me to take you with me into military custody to see if this is true. If it is, we will let you and your men that want to join you to the Union army. If not, your allowed your military position and a few swings at Westwood." James held out his hand to show for Peril to give equipment. "I was asked to. I didn't decide anything," James said.

DeletedUser

During the early morning hours, just as the sun was beginning to rise over the rolling hills of Virginia, the drums began to sound of the 2nd division, 1st corps that Barber was attached to. He rushed from his tent in full uniform, red sash was still being tied around his waist as he hastily walked toward his battery where his men were just completing their inspection of the guns. The 2 Georgian regiments now under Barbers command assembled in a double lined formation behind the guns.

"Cannons?" Barber would shout, an awkward level of noise for such a peaceful, quiet morning.

Following almost immediately after Barbers command: "Left section ready." "Right section ready."

"5 inch shell, 5 second fuse. 800 yards, fire when ready." Barber would shout, walking to the other side of the battery while the crews began packing in the charges and shells. 6 loud thuds proceeded his order roughly 15 seconds after they were issued, almost all simultaneously.

The rest of the day went fairly, Barbers battery mostly counter-firing on the Union batteries which were situated almost directly in front of him. By the end of the day Early had assumed command of Barbers 34th Georgia reserve regiment, and the next day claimed a Confederate victory as the Union army routed en masse back towards Washington.

Barber is from a small town in Arkansas, 37 years old. He had been training American artillery batteries since he was 24, and held the rank of Staff Sergeant before the Confederacy was formed. He joined the Confederacy, trained his own battery and was also promoted in rank to 2nd Captain upon being attached to the 1st corps/2nd division/AoS.

DeletedUser

"I assure you that I have not sent any information to the Union, why would I do such a thing? But I guess I am forced to do as I am told" Peril unleathered his colt and handed it butt first to James followed shortly by his bowie knife

DeletedUser

After a few days of investigation, Peril was set free and got a whack or two at Westwood. When Peril was sending him back to the Union, Peril wrapped his feet to rope around a horse, broke his legs and slapped the horse. "I think you went it bit too far their Peril," James said as he chuckled a bit.

James, Peril, and their sgts. were sent on a scouting mission a week later. Around the campfire, James and Peril were in a conversation, "Peril, could you tell me abit about your past? I've read your military record but other than that your a mystery to most of the commanders," James said as he drank from his tin some beer....

DeletedUser

"Why?" Jack looked down into his coffee cup "They don't usually ask things like that in the army."

DeletedUser

"Because I'm not your usual army recruit. I joined the army after......." James stopped. "After my wife was killed. Some men who hated Mexicans killed her while she was playing with my kids. They were killed too. I killed those men in cold blood," James said, stopping from time to time to drink from his tin and grabbing some coffee after finishing his ale,"My wife's name was Miranda. I met her when I was thirteen. I helped her get into America with her family. I was a rebel back then some people called me. Miranda....she was the only person I cared about and she grew to those feelings too. We got married, I retired from military service after only 5 years after that. We had children. Jack, John, James, and my youngest daughter, Sam. A few days before, Bartow, God rest his soul, asked me to join the Confederacy. I was thinking of just sitting it out, but my son James wanted me to join the South."

James continued, sad and depressed,"She was shot in the garden and my kids were too. Sam was inside and even though she was only a baby, they still killed her," a tear flowing down James' face as he said this," as I held my wife and kids in my arms, my son told me, 'We bought a new gun for you today dad, cause your birthday is comin' up.' I found those men gloating and them laughing. I pulled out my revolver and shot each man down. I stood over one of them and pointed the gun straight in his face. I fired it and I was arrested. They let me off after I told them what happened. Thought of hangin' myself for abit, but then Bartow came back. I accepted his offer and came up here to lead the 512th Cavalry Brigade. That's my story and I hate every minute of it. Whenever I pull out my gun, I just imagine it pointing at the man who shot them down, and I feel better for a second. Just for a second," James said as he took a sip of his coffee. "So I'm not one of those guys who didnt wanted to fight in the war and I hope that it ends soon. Then I'll go sit in my house as a hermit till I'm put in a box and buried. They'll propally bury me in that new graveyard in D.C. for military soldiers. Arlington right?"

DeletedUser

Meanwhile Westwoods was transported to the back lines after he was dragged by his horse and found by friendly troops. Nobody was able to speak about the incident of Bull run. Every soldier that had fought over their were ashamed of what they called 'the biggest fiasco for the Union army'
Westwoods and his men were put in reserve to rest and patch up the wounded. Westwoods layed in the hospital barrack because of his broken legs and wound in his arm. Sounds of screaming wounded men filled the room.
Sergeant Johnson often came to visit his wounded friend and talked about what happened to the troops.
"So our Jayhawkers are disbanded and are now part of the regular army?" "Yes sir. Those were his orders. Until you have recovered from your injuries we have to listen to a new officer. A lieutenant fresh from training. No battle experience at all." "Good God sergeant are they crazy?" "Well sir you know how the general staff is...I heared they are planning an attack on the Virginia Peninsula...Confederate army general Magruder has 3 defensive lines out there and some huge forts...And Major General McClellan can't have that. He really wants to kick the Confederates back to Richmond. So i guess we soon will have orders to depart." Westwoods legs hurt like hell. "You okay sir? They beat you up pretty good..." "I'm...all right old friend...doctor Blake said i was going to be allright. He patched me up but i need rest so i can heal properly..." Westwoods forced himself to smile. " I'm sorry I can't come with you sergeant..." Sergeant Johnson layed his hand on Westwoods shoulder. "The men will understand sir...I'll come back tomorow with some fruit...Get some rest." "Look after yourself old friend." Westwoods shouted when Johnson walked out of the barrack.

DeletedUser

Jack laughed and said "No, James no wel'l probably end up in a ditch somewhere, they won't boher picking up rebels will they" Jack gave a somber smile before saying "I'll kick the devil in the nuts for you, friend"

Jack stodd and strode away, saying over his shoulder "You'll have to find out m history yourself"

DeletedUser

James chuckled. He went to bed for the night and was woken by gunshots,"Who the hell woke me up?!?" James yelled as he ran outside. He saw 5 Union soldiers. Both groups fought for some time. James and Peril killed one while William and Sgt. Maryland killed the other three. "Nice shootin' bro," James said. "No threat, no sweat!" William said as he fixed his tie.

James looked at one of the Union soldiers. He was only hit in the shoulder, and looked like Peril. "Hey Peril! I think you should have a look at this!"

DeletedUser

The union soldier, eyes closed in pain, grabbed his shoulder as Jack came closer. He looked in the face of the Union soldier. He looked like him but...Who was that fellah?
The Union soldier looked terrified in the eyes of Jack who looked back in his cocky little way.

DeletedUser

"Ive never seen this man before in my life...who is he?" Peril looked down at the union solider before unholstering his walker and mumbling "No prisoners"

DeletedUser

James kicked the gun straight out of his hand."If you kill this man, we'll be just like the damn Union. You forget what they did to our comrades on Bull Run! My friend was killed out their. If you kill randomly for no reason, then your like them! This is an unarmed man. He's wounded. Maryland, Cpl. Butters, and Sgt. Peterson patch this man up, keep him away from the weapons and make sure he's got some food. He's staying with us!"

DeletedUser

Jack held onto his walker as James kicked it and yelled "Ha! You think I forgot what happened at Bull Run? That's why there shouldn''t be any prisoners! Not a one! Your'e letting something live that will one day be able to fight against us!"

Jack stood up and stalked off, all his men fell into step behind him voicing their own anger at the stupid actions of James.

DeletedUser

"THIS MAN WILL STAY WITH US UNTIL WARS END YOU IDIOT!!!!!! What's the matter with you? If you hate this man so much then tell me why! I've never seen you so mad about one Union soldier. And it's protocol to keep them prisoner. You heard General Beauregard's words! We are on scouting mission! You leave now you'll be called a deserter and I can't change that!"

DeletedUser

Jack stopped and turned "Is that what you think, James? That I'm a deserter? Each Union solider we don't kill today will come back to ahunt us tomorrow and thats the way we all think! We are'nt like you, James, merciful. Beauregard isn't here now is he? If you want to stop my compny from splitting with your's then you come over here and try it!" Jack and his friends went to their horses and mounted them "Goodbye, James!"

Status
Not open for further replies.