Train Stations

Do you think its a good idea to have a train station

• Total voters

DeletedUser

I think incoporating rail depots is a great idea.

First a rail depot would add another building to the town. Not all towns founded should have the option to construct a rail depot - let the IT guys at the west choose how they can limit which towns will have a rail depot prefounding, or only allow ten depots per grid. I would suggest trains run on a schedule - passing through each town only twice a day. I think it should be one of the most expenseive buildings to construct, and something that only has one or two levels. But, with many advantages. For example, at level one the rail depot simply is for passenger transportation, increasing travel time by 75% - seems fast, but consider you need a destination, and you have to wait for the train. At completion of level II the rail depot will support both passangers and trade goods. The latter increasing the goods available at each level of the general store, tailor, and gunsmith. And maybe increasing the building time of each building, since having a train depot should increase the availability of building supplies.

I too think ticket upgrades would be a good idea to increase energy.

DeletedUser

Rail Depot / Train Station

I think incoporating rail depots is a great idea.

First a rail depot would add another building to the town. Not all towns founded should have the option to construct a rail depot - let the IT guys at the west choose how they can limit which towns will have a rail depot prefounding, or only allow ten depots per grid. I would suggest trains run on a schedule - passing through each town only twice a day. I think it should be one of the most expenseive buildings to construct, and something that only has one or two levels. But, with many advantages. For example, at level one the rail depot simply is for passenger transportation, increasing travel time by 75% - seems fast, but consider you need a destination, and you have to wait for the train. At completion of level II the rail depot will support both passangers and trade goods. The latter increasing the goods available at each level of the general store, tailor, and gunsmith. And maybe increasing the building time of each building, since having a train depot should increase the availability of building supplies.

I too think ticket upgrades would be a good idea to increase energy.

DeletedUser1105

I don't think you need them.

Why do you need to travel so far? The only reason for doing that is if you are duelling. So trains would only be beneficial to duellers, which is a bit pointless.

For shops and things, after a couple of months you won't have to travel far to find what you need.

DeletedUser

yeah unless there is a personal trade option made. if that happens trains would be welcome. if not they are pointless. trains are dumb. stupid trains.

DeletedUser

You just end up in an inflationary bidding war on attributes like speed. Horses are plenty fast enough. A train is just a horse that goes up to 11.

DeletedUser

new post area

there is a new post area for things to give to the developers finalized stuff you should put this in there:D:D

DeletedUser

rick i think most active posters from all persuasions are into thrashing out ideas in advance so we don't overburden the devs with undebated ideas

DeletedUser

trains are just dumb. thats why we have cars. fast ones. that guzzle gas. trains run on coal. COAL for petes sake. who wants to use a stupid ole coal burning train? duelists thats who. and if you think ppeople whine about being dueled now WHOA MOMMA just wait cause THE TRAINS A COMIN.

DeletedUser

Rail road idea worked out
New town building - RR station
4 or more levels.
1st level - you can connect to another town
2nd level - you can connect to one more town
3rd level - higher % of collect money on goods

Benefits:
* if map would be bigger and if there are fewer towns then this all would make sense.
- if you would use RR then you would travel as fast as fastest horse
- you would not get tired and traveling by foot or horse should take some energy (more realistic)
- you would pay for ticket and that money would go to starting town treasury
- connected cities would share goods from their stores
- if two towns are connexted then their members can see goods from both towns
- goods from other town can be bought cheaper, let say 35% of the price, and money from trade would go to original town.
- with each level of RR station, original town that sold the goods would make higher % of money.
- this could be increesed if they hire RR manager whose trading skill would further increase % of the money they get from selling a product in other town.
- towns connected indirectly, via directly conected town, would be able to see and buy goods at lets say 50% of original price

How would it look if it would be implemented:
- fewer towns with bigger map and distances as discussed in other thread
- realistic map with rail roads
- higher level of organization in all towns as good decisions would make more money
- more strategy in town part
- one more interesting spot in town as you could work as RR manager
- to compesate in waste of time for duellers they could perhaps get a free ride or discounts

There. I hope you like it and will comment.
Regards,

Marko

P.S. In order to stop ppl from buying horses as taking a RR would be simplier perhaps it would be good to add bonus on horses. Like, if you ride a horse you get bonus on your appearence as it in reality would happen.

Hightower, I hope this idea can go to your forum thread and soon be implemented in the game. 8 pages certainly shows that there is an intrest for trains and RR stations in the game.

DeletedUser

I don't see why you should get an apperance bonus for riding.

If someone hears about how the infamous dueler just jumped on a train that is heading your way, wouldn't that cause fear to bubble?

If you want to talk about ralism that is :p

DeletedUser

the game has put in well-balanced mechanisms for increased travel speed, that have to be earnt like everything else in the game. They are called horses.

DeletedUser5046

• good idea •

- faster than a horse

• bad idea •

-where will you buy tickets?
-how long will you wait for the ride?
-how many passenger can the choo choo load?
-is there a chance a duel will be made inside the train?
-can that increase your experience in riding horses?

DeletedUser

yeah and there needs to be a train station to the other side where yer traveling and if u constantly build and demolish unwanted tracks its pointless

DeletedUser

hw about a coach-from post office, IE hitch a ride on the post coach, as could happen in the west, for long journeys of over 10 hrs speed is like quarter horse x2
accesible in the post office slight risk of being attacked or other danger but overall you get a cheap ride goes whenever someone sends a message it goes in 1 hr the message goes instantly but yu can go on the coach

DeletedUser

I like the stage-coach idea more than the RR idea...
With a stag-coach you'd travel just as fast as the fastest horse, But the cost would be $200 one way

The stage coach would act more like a taxi.
You'd pay in the town hall (funtioning as 'station')
You'd then have a one-time speed bonus to where ever your going.
For every ticket purchased the treasury would earn $10

I find the stage-coach would be balanced, because if you already own the Quarter Horse, you wouldn't need to hitch a ride on the coach.
The Price of the Coach is kinda steep to avoid abuse.... think about it: 14 rides on the stage coach and you could've bought that quarter horse!

DeletedUser

A RR / Train station idea would be very complicated...
For starters, you'd have to implement a server time-stamp tracker and then have the train run off that. Passengers would be limitless (for simplicity sake).

To ride a Train, a town would need a Station (TownHall 10 to unlock), and you may not arrive to your exact destination, as it may not have a station...
As I've said: It'd be very complicated and would drastically change the concept of the mechanics...

If i was a programmer I'd have 6-8 'semi-random' stations pre-built in the world (at opposite end and in the middle). So that no town would be more important as another... These stations would, in essence be "ghost towns" and purchasing of tickets wouldn't benefit any one town. In this scenario, the only way RR's and stations would work effectively would be if the map was bigger (like 3x as big as it currently is)

Purchase price would be around $300 one way (resale vaule $150) and would grant a one time speed bonus 4x as fast as the Quarter Horse...

Then there is the matter of schedule. You'd have to que your character to "ride the train" within 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hr or 2 hrs before the train departs. Just as any other "job" only with no pay-outs and no energy cost... Once on the train, you cannot cancel. you're stuck there for the duration of the ride.
With a map 3x as big:
--> it would take you nearly 72 hrs to walk from corner to corner...
--> With Donkey: 64 hrs
--> With Pony: 52 hrs
--> with Mustang: 48 hrs
--> with White Horse: 36 hrs
--> with Arabian: 24 hrs
--> with Quarter: 12 hrs
--> on Train: 4-8 hrs...

if trains were implemented with current map-size it'd take you 30 minutes to ride from end-to-end

Last edited by a moderator: