Train Stations

Do you think its a good idea to have a train station

• Total voters

DeletedUser

True. And eventually you can increase travel time by 125% with a horse + 10% duel bonus could mean 135%.
Keep in mind that this is only too and from towns with train stations.

Not to any place on the map.

Which is very useful because while I'm in my town, I'd like to be able to go to a higher levelled up town to buy some gear then come back to my general area.

Perhaps with every level of a train station, there would be a radius that stretches to other towns.

So instead of having to go from point A to Z, depending on the distance, you would be going to, A-b-c-d etc.

So the towns within your towns radius that have train stations you would have to pass through in order to reach the destination, of course that would mean there would be a required chain of train stations to get to desired location.
Basically, it would be creating a route, this would be quite useful to increase town communication.

As well as having the radius, perhaps there could be a secondary option which allows direct routes that allow you to go straight from A to Z, though more expensive as well as both towns have to accept, it would also be limited. Only the Founder would be able to accept/decline direct route offers.

Of course I could just be over-complicating things, but I'd still say this is a neat idea.

-A Horse movement benefit does not count towards train travel time.
-This is only from Town to Town that have a built train station
-Direct Routes would require a talk of the two founders to allow you to go from A to Z (Level 1 station allows a max of 2, gains +1 per level gained, max level 5?)
-Towns between your home town and your destination town that exceed the radius must be able to link to other towns with trainstations to allow a successful route.
-$5 per stop reached
-Direct routes cost $50 despite distance

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanx for pointing out the obvious, Lorgos...:p

then get a mount . oh by the way you should check out this thread

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=5827

However i must direct you to the time stamp of the Original Posting of this thread.... This is not a new idea. This is THE DISCUSSION THREAD for the train station... Gem prohibits new threads of the same topic, but actually encourages old discussions to be talked about... Now, if this thread was locked, that'd be a different story.

DeletedUser

You have all lost your minds. LOL.

$300 for a one way ticket? What happens to your horse while you are on the train? Does it go with you so that you can ride it back? I think the $300 fare will not entice many people to ride a train or stage coach. I also think if you make it cheap it will cause people not to want to buy the faster horses. Towns lose money if people don't buy the faster horses because they don't get the % of the sale from them.

So a high price to ride the train makes it impossible for lower level players to ride, leaving only the wealthy higher level players able to do so. You think your workers complain about getting hit now? Wait until duelers arrive from the other side of the world to rob them. A lower price allows everyone to travel this way, makes horses worthless, and now your workers are going to get hit by everyone for the price of a train ticket.

Do you honestly think the devs didn't think about transportation modes when they were working on this game? I'm sure railroad stations and stage coaches came across their desks and were discarded for horse transportation. Possible reasons for this:

1. Devs didn't want to put the time and effort into the coding for RRs and Stage Coaches
2. Buying a horse (a faster horse) gives you a goal in the game to achieve
3. If a player really wants to travel to the opposite end of the map to war or for any other reason then they should put some effort into it.
4. Horse sales generate income for towns
5. The 'sharing' of goods in stores between towns makes it way too easy for a clan-like atmosphere. This isn't Tribal Wars where you take over other villages.
6. The sharing of goods in stores between towns and the discount suggested makes the rejoining a town time penalty obsolete. The devs put that in for a reason.

DeletedUser

I read a lot of ideas, here its mine. Make npc town and split around town's in states, and make rail road only from npc town to npc town, and ofcourse its good to have trains robbers.
:Edit: And for train rob we will need like 5-10 pll from same town at train :)
All the best from me :unsureg:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

It seems like a whole lot of work for a pointless idea.

On World 5 my town is in the top left sqaure. I travelled (with not donkey/horse) to some towns in the bottom right sqaure to do some duels. It took me 23 hours.

For a real-time game, I'd say that was rather quick.

It's just a lazy solution to a problem that does not exist.

If you want to visit another town to buy something, then travel there and stop expecting everyone to make the game easier and quicker for you.

DeletedUser

Good points. It took time to travel between towns. I'm sure if you looked at the map on a real life scale it would take far longer by train or stage coach to reach the opposite end of the map than it does by horse in the game.

DeletedUser

Then message a mod, don't post on it. If this gets locked would probably be restarted anyway by someone. If the gameteam is smart they'll instruct the mods not to take actions like that as its blocking out free ideas and community feedback.

I like the idea about having consented lines being built from town to town to speed up travel. I guess if implemented, the tracks would be preset routes from town to town, would have to be balanced, or would have to keep in mind that towns on the main routes would have an economic and strategic advantage, and be fought over. But you could say the same thing right now about the towns with the best jobs nearby for certain levels.

To those saying that speed isn't a necessity once you have horses, and to handle the other criticisms;
This could be worked around anyway -

• Lines could be few and fairly distributed... It would work out more economical to travel direct on the fastest horse relatively, as train tickets would be more expensive than horse travel payoff.
  • If lines weren't too aplenty, there would actually be benefits to not being on the main route for certain types of towns, i.e. not being as easily reached by preying duellers.
  • Friends that registered at different times at different ends of the map, would be able to meet somewhere much faster than by travelling direct, which is fair as the travel time holds back their advancement in the game.
  • When it comes to war, getting to the enemies town fast enough and in a coordinated effort would be much easier on timed train journeys.
  • The Wild West had trains, people sat on them, and they moved,, why not implement it as a gameplay feature.
  • This game is beta, it will change over the course of development. Stop holding back ideas with unfounded criticism, simply because you, 'like it how it is.' If you want to play a game that won't change, go get a closed game or an offline one.
But anyway, the reason this same topic has been suggested multiple times is because its a good idea, show the OP some respect.

That guy's post solves all those issues. He talks so much sense, I think I love him

DeletedUser

It does not. The price of the ticket will either exclude lower level players or make it possible for everyone to use the trains.

Then we will deal with another eleventy-thousand posts about how the poor workers are getting dueled...this time from everyone in their world.

You want the shortest amount of travel time to all places on the map? Found a town in the center.

DeletedUser1105

which is fair as the travel time holds back their advancement in the game.
It would take half a day, max, for two people at opposite ends of the map to meet in the middle. How does that hold back their advancement?

When it comes to war, getting to the enemies town fast enough and in a coordinated effort would be much easier on timed train journeys.
Why would you want it to be easy? Where would be the sense achievement in doing it that way? Surely having to organise it is part of the fun?

The Wild West had trains, people sat on them, and they moved,, why not implement it as a gameplay feature.
People in the wild west also led boring lives, people in the wild west were homemakers, people in the wild west actually died when shot in the head, so why not implement all these? Just because it happened in real life doesn't make that a valid point to be added to the game.

Can anyone give a valid reason why you need to travel from one end of the map to the other in less than a day? Bearing in mind that this extreme travel time is only applicable to people who a) are based on the edges of the map (as those in-land have shorter travel times) and b) don't have a donkey or a horse (which again boost travel times).

It's laziness, pure and simple.

DeletedUser

It does not. The price of the ticket will either exclude lower level players or make it possible for everyone to use the trains.

You could have first class, coach, in with the coal or something. Quarterhorse is hard to get for lower level players, doesn't mean its unfair.

Then we will deal with another eleventy-thousand posts about how the poor workers are getting dueled...this time from everyone in their world.

I know, you know, whinin bout bein dueled should earn a warning :p
I said those away from main line cud escape being dueled so much. Meaning those that just want a peaceful click'n'go'afk town can build in east bumville n escape the red zones.

You want the shortest amount of travel time to all places on the map? Found a town in the center.

Still takes ages to get to the corners...

DeletedUser

Whine whine whine

Not my intent to return your flame, well maybe a lil but...

Pretty sure the phrase 'Dint yo momma teach you if you had nuttin nice to say don't say nuttin at all...' was around back then too. Maybe they should work that into the boards? :)

DeletedUser1105

I am not flaming. I am saying that you are asking for a WHOLE lot of coding to be written/tested/implemented just so you dont have to have a MAXIMUM travel time of around 24 hours.

How about we introduce the rule:

"If you don't have a good idea that is worth being implemented, don't post about it."

DeletedUser

I read a lot of ideas, here its mine. Make npc town and split around town's in states, and make rail road only from npc town to npc town, and ofcourse its good to have trains robbers.
:)
All the best from me :unsureg:

That's basically what I said...
Currently our map is just too small for any form of trains...

A RR / Train station idea would be very complicated...

Then there is the matter of schedule. You'd have to que your character to "ride the train" within 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hr or 2 hrs before the train departs. Just as any other "job" only with no pay-outs and no energy cost... Once on the train, you cannot cancel. you're stuck there for the duration of the ride.
With a map 3x as big:
--> it would take you nearly 72 hrs to walk from corner to corner...
--> With Donkey: 64 hrs
--> With Pony: 52 hrs
--> with Mustang: 48 hrs
--> with White Horse: 36 hrs
--> with Arabian: 24 hrs
--> with Quarter: 12 hrs
--> on Train: 4-8 hrs...

if trains were implemented with current map-size it'd take you 30 minutes to ride from end-to-end

What happens to your horse while you are on the train? Does it go with you so that you can ride it back? I think the $300 fare will not entice many people to ride a train or stage coach. I also think if you make it cheap it will cause people not to want to buy the faster horses. Towns lose money if people don't buy the faster horses because they don't get the % of the sale from them.

ermmm, yeah they did have livestock cars for cattle and equstians, so, umm, yeaj obvioulsy your mount would go with you... The NPC station would be the best solution for this... Say 6, 7, or 8 semi-random placed stations throughout the map... Of course this whole 'train' idea would ONLY WORK with a map 3x as big...

DeletedUser

My damn post I made on page 9 pretty much tackles certain things of most the questions given, yet it gets ignored. Motherf*ckers!

DeletedUser

madkill, you mean this post:
Keep in mind that this is only too and from towns with train stations.

Not to any place on the map.

Which is very useful because while I'm in my town, I'd like to be able to go to a higher levelled up town to buy some gear then come back to my general area.

Perhaps with every level of a train station, there would be a radius that stretches to other towns.

So instead of having to go from point A to Z, depending on the distance, you would be going to, A-b-c-d etc.

So the towns within your towns radius that have train stations you would have to pass through in order to reach the destination, of course that would mean there would be a required chain of train stations to get to desired location.
Basically, it would be creating a route, this would be quite useful to increase town communication.

As well as having the radius, perhaps there could be a secondary option which allows direct routes that allow you to go straight from A to Z, though more expensive as well as both towns have to accept, it would also be limited. Only the Founder would be able to accept/decline direct route offers.

Of course I could just be over-complicating things, but I'd still say this is a neat idea.

-A Horse movement benefit does not count towards train travel time.
-This is only from Town to Town that have a built train station
-Direct Routes would require a talk of the two founders to allow you to go from A to Z (Level 1 station allows a max of 2, gains +1 per level gained, max level 5?)
-Towns between your home town and your destination town that exceed the radius must be able to link to other towns with trainstations to allow a successful route.
-$5 per stop reached
-Direct routes cost $50 despite distance