It's a Hotel... Not a Safe Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

That's the problem with all this anti-duelling nonsense, the emotive language. It's not cheating, it's intelligent play.

This man speaks sense and he is wise, it's part and parcel of the game, I do it so does a lot of people.
The thread starter has just given about 1000 people he same motive........:eek:hmy:
That's not such an intelligent act:eek:

DeletedUser

I'm against multi-accounts and totally for catching them. I've actually aided the catching of a couple of multis because they were combining in duelling. it's one of the best ways to flush the buggers out:)
I agree, still I think you guys need to make dueling better, but not to the prejudice of others.

DeletedUser

do people actually do that though?
don't forget that you or your town members are perfectly at liberty to do the same thing and that is how it goes.

Obviously people do it, or else this thread wouldn't have been started. In no way do I think this is cheating but its defiantly not in the spirit of the game. Being able to camp an entire town (within your dueling range) without fear of retribution makes it a little unbalanced.

And let me state it again in case anyone missed it. I was the one using this tactic to camp a town. So this isn't a "woe is me, my worker was doing nothing and got hit 3 tomes" thread. I was the one remaining untouchable to the other (much more experienced) duelists. And when I finally got low enough in motivation (30%) I just disbanded from my town and went off to do jobs.

Understanding the mechanics of the game and utilizing them to their full advantage is indeed intelligent play. However, exploiting them for an unfair advantage (in this case, becoming untouchable) is not what the developers intended and makes the game greatly unbalanced.

If your argument against this is "the opposition can do it to, therefore its balanced" then let it continue. I just would hate to see the state of the game if it did in fact become wide spread.

~Z~

DeletedUser

That's something I want to evade Zehava. Sooner or later every person will act like that and what will the game look like? Camping sites with no fun. And I wasn't writing that this is cheating, I only written that when someone is cheating ... so I can point on a different case the alikeness with doing something unfair.

DeletedUser

This man speaks sense and he is wise, it's part and parcel of the game, I do it so does a lot of people.
The thread starter has just given about 1000 people he same motive........:eek:hmy:
That's not such an intelligent act:eek:

Bringing the attention of a flaw to all to review isn't intelligent? I figured that if it is 'not a flaw, and well balanced' then me bringing it up will have no ill consequences. And after discussion if it is found to be a flaw then everyone can through in their ideas how to fix it.

DeletedUser

Surely they will know. Maybe a little later but they will, it's inevitable :).

DeletedUser

Zehava out of respect for your reasonable tone with me when i was ranting at you i just reread the whole thing concentrating hard....i still can't really see your point though:)

My town has gone to war with another town whereby we each camped in each other's town. It's a laugh for one thing but it is also mutually damaging like all wars. Towns that do it too much tend to slip down the charts as it goes on. This forces intelligence rather than blind aggression.

DeletedUser

You bring up very good points, Ulthor. And I can see how the point I'm trying to make may be a little far fetched as I'm thinking into the future of the game and throwing in some "what if's".

I didn't know about this tactic until not too long ago and once I saw it in use (and used it myself) it just seemed unfair and not balanced. But since its not widespread (yet) it doesn't seem to be perceived as a problem to some.

DeletedUser

If I am walking to work some sunny afternoon and someone starts shooting at me, I am going to take out my gun and start shooting back...and I'm gonna duck for cover.

The old measures of warfare where enemies stand out in the wide open, shooting at one another in the free and clear range, fell out of popular practice in the Revolutionary War. "Proper Dueling", where two foes stood at 50 paces and drew...this almost never, ever happened on the western frontier, save for theatrical circumstances.

If gunplay is answered, yer darned tootin' I'm gonna duck behind the nearest rock/horse/wall/wagon/barrel to avoid the bullet. In this game, the Hotel is that nearest object. Is that really that complicated to understand, or does it sound more like some people would prefer to have their cake and eat it, too?

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7593

Why not an option to camp someone sleeping in a hotel?

"Big John is sleeping right now and could be sleeping up to 8 hours. Do you want to wait until he wakes up?"

In other words queue up a duel for someone who's in the hotel to shoot them as soon as they wake up, whenever that is. Even if they have two sleeps queued in a row it would duel them in between.

DeletedUser

Honestly I don't see the point of people crying about this. Both sides did it in this war. Maybe you will think about who you attack. It's called using your brain to play. If I go and get the top ranked towns after me, I expect them to come after me with every tactic they have. And another thing is if you want to knock me out...So what. That gives me 48 hours of uninterrupted working.

DeletedUser

do people actually do that though?
don't forget that you or your town members are perfectly at liberty to do the same thing and that is how it goes.
My town is constantly being attacked by a high up dueller who always wins.
It's our decision whether to retaliate or not, then we make the weaker members of that town suffer to bring pressure to bear on the errant dueller. That's diplomacy. It's a fun part of the game's strategy.

Yup, people actualy do that, and if we get the guard proposal implemented, it'd make this problem partly go away.

I find it a cheap strategy myself, but I guess some find it a viable way of actually bullying the weak. That is how this bugger that camps our town use it though. Attacks ONE single target, and he fails at making her pass out to boot.

I'm all for dueling, I love dueling, and I don't mind that people do get robbed blind, even if it's me. Sure it's annoying, but it IS a part of the game. So, rob whomever, whenever for all I care, but camping the hotel to avoid getting dueled is rather cheap.

DeletedUser

I think using it to bully people is wrong. The way it happened in this case was that our workers used it to retaliate against their dueler camping our town. It wasn't like we sent our duelers over to do it.

DeletedUser

A simple change to end the "enemy in the house" syndrome:
Once the hotel is upgraded, it no longer offers the lower level rooms.
I doubt that this change would be approved by the designers.

DeletedUser

That would effectively put an end to the ability to stay in a foreign hotel. hands up how many people have ever stayed in a foreign hotel for $250?

DeletedUser

What if sleeping in one of the first 2 levels of a foreign hotel don't provide you with protection from dueling?

DeletedUser1105

Then the adventurer bonus of getting free hotel stays up to level 2 becomes less of a bonus.

And everyone would have to pay $90 to stay and be safe. The hotel prices would need an overhaul before anything like these ideas where put into place.

DeletedUser

Look if these guys want to dodge bullets at $10 a pop, then why not?
Seems like a strategy not a cheat.
In my town when there is an enemy dueller in someone posts and we run for cover ourselves using the hotel as an unrealistic safe haven. It works both ways. Also how about soldiers staying outside to not give the dueller an easy target?

Anyways the ability to defend town idea takes care of all this.

DeletedUser2708

Then the adventurer bonus of getting free hotel stays up to level 2 becomes less of a bonus.

Only slightly -- remember, that adventurer can still only be dueled if he's a member of a town. The free hotel bit probably means most adventurers never even join a town.

DeletedUser

Look if these guys want to dodge bullets at $10 a pop, then why not?
Seems like a strategy not a cheat.
In my town when there is an enemy dueller in someone posts and we run for cover ourselves using the hotel as an unrealistic safe haven. It works both ways. Also how about soldiers staying outside to not give the dueller an easy target?

Anyways the ability to defend town idea takes care of all this.

Again, it seems like we just keep going in circles and circles over this. $10 for some, free for others, both sides can do it, that's not the point. The point is by using this strategy/tactic (I never once called it a cheat) the attacker cannot be attacked back.

I see it as a flaw in the system that was overlooked and has been taken advantage of. To justify it by saying 'both sides can do it' just distracts from the problem (unless two wrongs make it right).

I'm surprised no-one has suggested not building a hotel in the town, because that would take care of the problem too. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.